How to make:
1. Pre-warm six 20cl (6.75oz) toddy glasses or Tom & Jerry mugs with hot water.
2. Using a whisk, BEAT the yolks in a mixing bowl “until they are thin as water." Add sugar, Jamaican rum, spices and STIR thoroughly with whisk.
3. In a separate bowl, use a whisk to BEAT the egg whites "to a stiff froth."
4. Use a tablespoon to FOLD the frothy egg whites into the spiced and beaten yolk mixture. This produces the gloopy base mixture known as ‘Tom & Jerry batter’.
5. To make individual drinks, to each of the warmed glasses or mugs, POUR cognac and rum, and add two table spoons of Tom & Jerry batter. STIR each glass/mug thoroughly with a barspoon while topping with boiling water.
6. Each should end up with frothy head ready to receive the garnish of grated nutmeg. Serve and enjoy.
Dust with freshly grated nutmeg
A warming and filling winters meal in itself. This recipe will fill six small toddy glasses or Tom & Jerry mugs (each 20cl capacity to brim), and given the faff involved you might as well double or treble the recipe and make for a crowd, or enjoy several each.
There are approximately 348 calories in one serving of Tom & Jerry.