Serve in aToddy glass
Dust with freshly grated nutmeg
How to make:
1. Pre-warm six 20cl (6.75oz) toddy glasses or Tom & Jerry mugs with hot water.
2. Using a whisk, BEAT the yolks in a mixing bowl "until they are thin as water." Add sugar, Jamaican rum, spices and STIR thoroughly with whisk.
3. In a separate bowl, use a whisk to BEAT the egg whites "to a stiff froth."
4. Use a tablespoon to FOLD the frothy egg whites into the spiced and beaten yolk mixture. This produces the gloopy base mixture known as 'Tom & Jerry batter'.
5. To make individual drinks, to each of the warmed glasses or mugs, POUR cognac and rum, and add two table spoons of Tom & Jerry batter. STIR each glass/mug thoroughly with a barspoon while topping with boiling water.
6. Each should end up with frothy head ready to receive the garnish of grated nutmeg. Serve and enjoy.
|2 fresh||Egg white|
|2 fresh||Egg yolk|
|6 spoon||Caster sugar|
|1/2 fl oz||Pot still Jamaican rum|
|2 pinch||Ground cinnamon|
|3 pinch||Freshly grated nutmeg|
|1 1/2 fl oz||Cognac VSOP|
|1/2 fl oz||Bacardi 8 year old rum|
|Top up with||Boiling water|
Difford's Guide remains free-to-use thanks to the support of the brands in red above.
This recipe contains a number of ingredients that are potentially hazardous if used incorrectly:
A warming and filling winters meal in itself. This recipe will fill six small toddy glasses or Tom & Jerry mugs (each 20cl capacity to brim), and given the faff involved you might as well double or treble the recipe and make for a crowd, or enjoy several each.
For the full story behind the origins of this filling cocktail see our Tom & Jerry page.