Gabriel Boudier Wizard Awards 2022-23
Emporia Brands are inviting all UK bartenders to start their creative preparation and register for the fourth Gabriel Boudier National Wizard Award Competition. UK bartenders are challenged to create a new liqueur to join Gabriel Boudier's award-winning range.
National heats held in 2022 will lead to Wizard Finals in Dijon in January 2023.
Please make sure you've read and understood the competition rules and terms & conditions (below). Once registered a local Emporia representative will assist you.
Step 1 - Register at EmporiaBrands.com. An Emporia representative will the contact you to arrange supply of your neutral beet alcohol.
Step 2 - Get creative and invent your liqueur or crème (see below) along with 1 simple serve and 1 signature cocktail to showcase your liqueur.
Step 3 - Enter your liqueur or crème at EmporiaBrands.com before the 1st November 2022.
Dividing the country into three regional heats, Wizard of the North, Wizard of the South and Wizard of Scotland, there will be 3 regional heats (London, Midlands & Scotland). Bartenders present their liqueur and signature serves to a range of industry experts, judged on strict criteria from Gabriel Boudier.
The Grand Final in Dijon
The wizards who win each of the regional titles are invited to the Grand Final in Dijon, judged by the Master Wizards of Gabriel Boudier, with one recipe being selected for development and launch later in the year as part of the Gabriel Boudier range - a genuinely new and original invention.
1. Your recipe must be over 15% alc./vol. and defined as either a Liqueur with a sugar content of over 100 grams per litre or a Crème with a sugar content over 250 grams per litre.
2. Your liqueur recipe must use neutral spirit alcohol, with no limits to what ingredients you wish to include in your creation. The final recipe however must be a flavour that is currently not commercially available in the UK. Emporia Brands will, on request, supply the neutral sugar beet alcohol, the same base as used by Gabriel Boudier (the competition is about the ingredients, not the base alcohol). It is, however, a condition, following Gabriel Boudier's policy, that you must use 100% natural ethically sourced ingredients, with no artificial or synthesised flavours or colourings.
3. There is no restriction on how you create your liqueur, using either distillation, percolation, infusion, maceration or maturation. NB Some ingredients can, during these processes, create harmful by-products; these are unlikely to affect most recipes, but recipes must be submitted in advance for
checking and Emporia Brands reserves the right to disqualify any entry on the grounds of safety.
4. Entrants will discover that the optimum times for the above processes vary according to the ingredient - some very quick, some require weeks. Emporia Brands is happy to comment on any entrant's recipe in line with the rules above.
5. The liqueur must be presented in a final filtered quality, ready to serve, but may include any of the ingredients in solid form if part of the final recipe.
6. Each Wizard needs to complete an initial registration and entry
form online which includes details of the recipe and process, together with the recipe for the perfect serve cocktail.
7. All entry forms will be judged by a panel led by Jack Rackham,
Director of Emporia Brands.
8. It is a condition of entry that there is no intellectual property
retained by the entrant. Should the recipe be selected for commercial production no entitlement to financial or any other benefit will accrue to the entrant.