Not generally accessible
+44 (0) 1875 342 004
East Lothian, Scotland
Glenkinchie is considered the smokiest of the few surviving Lowland malts and is one of Diageo’s ‘Classic Malts of Scotland’ range. Due to its location at Pencaitland amidst the rolling barley fields of East Lothian, just 16 miles south east of the Scottish capital, Glenkinchie is nicknamed ‘The Edinburgh Malt’.
A distillery known as Milton was registered by John and George Rate in 1825 with the Rate bothers registered as licensees under the Glenkinchie name after rebuilding in 1837.
Glenkinchie operates a full lauter mash tun, six washbacks and more notably, a pair of amongst the largest pot stills in Scotland - the wash still has a 32,000 litre (7,000 gallons) capacity. The lyne arms from the stills go out the still house wall to an external cast iron worm tub. Hard water from the limestone Lammermuir Hills is used in distillation and the spirit is mostly aged in American oak casks.
Rebuilt in the 1890s, Glenkinchie is the only survivor of the five Lowland distilleries that formed Scottish Malt Distilleries in 1914. Glenkinchie’s maltings become museum in 1968. The still-house was rebuilt in 1981 and the mash house rebuilt in 1995.