Not generally accessible
+31 (0)165 537 850
The history of Wenneker dates back to 16th February 1693, when Hendrick Steeman was granted a license to erect two brandy distilling-kettles. Centuries later, in 1812, the distillery was acquired by Joannes Wenneker. However, due to a lack of successors, his great-grandson, Franciscus Wenneker who was nicknamed Fokke, sold the company in 1903 to Johannes Cornelis van der Tuijn, a maltster from Schiedam. Today, the company is still owned and run by the Van der Tuijn family.
Wenneker outgrew its premises in Schiedam so moved to Roosendaal in 1967, a location chosen due to its geographical location midway between the ports of Rotterdam and Antwerp. The company took over the former KvW tobacco factory in the Badhuisstraat.
Over the years Wenneker has successfully negotiated the takeover of a number of its competitors such as Piersma, Duys, Smeets and most recently Distillery J.J Melchers Wz. Schiedam (producers of the Olifant brand of genever.