Cómo se hace:
1. Cut lime in half (from pole to pole) and slice on half into 3-4mm thick half-moon shaped segments and drop into the base of a robust rocks glass.
2. Add 3 bar spoons caster sugar (or ½oz / 15ml sugar syrup 2:1) and MUDDLE.
3. If using cubed ice straight from the freezer, add chilled water (or optionally add fruit of choice) and MUDDLE some more. If using watery ice then omit water.
4. When sure fruit juice is fully extracted and the sugar dissolved, POUR the muddled fruit and sugar into serving glass (preferably a 30cl / 10oz hi-ball glass).
5. POUR cachaça (stored in the freezer) into the rocks glass (the glass used to muddle) and swirl to rinse glass before pouring cachaça into serving glass. STIR to mix with other ingredients.
6. If using cubed ice, crack (rather than crush) four to five large ice cubes and drop into serving glass. STIR before topping with more ice and serve with a stirrer (but no straws).
Stirrer (spoon, wooden lolly stick or stick cut from sugar cane)
If you are European or in North America you're probably used to this drink being served with crushed ice, but until you have tried it with cubed ice you have not really experienced a Caipirinha. Be sure to muddle the lime and sugar well and stir both before adding ice and after.