Under the Coconut Tree
Vang Hieu Trung
"Vietnam is a tropical country with beautiful scenery, that offers the world excellent exotic fruit products through its diverse agricultural industry. It translates into Vietnam's culinary culture, with unique characteristics and local products. You can witness it in typical street food vendors that are established all around the country, who use these agricultural products for their food and drinks.
One fairly common ingredient that you would find everywhere in Vietnam is Coconut. For many street food vendors, this is one of their best-selling products to support their families. With the desire to use this ingredient in my cocktails, I want to be more helpful to the community by using ingredients that are close to customers, in order to not only help improve their understanding of the cocktail culture - in a market that is still unfamiliar with it - but also to help elevate Vietnamese agricultural products and culinary culture to the world.
This is also an opportunity for me to help coconut farmers improve their lives by collaborating with them on a project to use clean and sustainable agricultural products in bars and restaurants as well as sponsoring street vendors with clean stalls, ensuring the quality of goods.
I would like to encourage other Vietnamese bartenders to become leaders in projects that help the community.
This project, I believe, will create a closer bond between bartenders and local farmers towards a sustainable development.
Under The Coconut Tree
Glassware: Rocks Glass
Garnish: Homemade Coconut Pandan Jelly & Pandan Leaf
1. Chill a Rocks Glass
2. Pour 45ml Ketel One, 90ml Homemade Tropical Mixture into glass and stir it gentle.
3. Taste the drink.
4. Garnish with Homemade Coconut Pandan Jelly & Pandan Leaf
45 ml Ketel One Family-Made Vodka
90 ml Homemade Tropical Mixture
To make Homemade Tropical Mixture:
1. Chop 300g of fresh pineapple and keep it in the jar with 150g of sugar. Wait about 20 minutes.
2. Use a pan and cook the mixture at 50 degree Celsius for 15 minutes then let it cool.
3. Measure 400ml of fresh coconut water, 60ml lime juice, pour it in. Stir it well and bottled, it can be kept for three to four days in the refrigerator."