18 Wellington Street,
+44 207 240 4222
View bar's website
Mon-Thu noon-midnight, Fri-Sat noon-1am, Sun noon-10:30pm
Plates & dishes
Christopher's occupies an imposing building just off the Aldwych. Originally a paper mache factory, the present day ornate facade was added in 1870 when the site became London's first licensed casino. The gaming tables were at the top of the grand staircase, where the restaurant is currently situated.
Christopher's reopened in May 2013 after being closed for a major refurbishment. Post refurb the American Bar still lies on the ground floor, to the right of the lobby but the low cushioned ceiling area to the left which formerly housed the long bar is now a sea of turquoise tub chairs and cosy built in banquettes. The bar now sits alter-like at the far end of the room backed by art-deco style mirrors. A long communal onyx high table sits under the five arched windows with drinkers perched high enough to peer out towards the Romanesque columns of the Lyceum theatre.
The well-executed drinks menu features classic and contemporary Martinis, "Decadent Martinis" (e.g. Chocolate Cherry Martini) and classic cocktails led by "American Classics" such as the Manhattan, Bronx and Sazerac. The tasty American led bar menu ranges from small plates to sliders, salads, burgers, po'boys.