The Benevolent - The UK Drinks Industry Charity
Words by Simon Difford
Photography by Video by Spectrecom Films
The Benevolent is a trade charity for people who are working, or have worked, in the UK drinks industry in any role and in any sector. This includes the production, distribution, marketing, import, export or retail sales of drinks brands in both the on trade and off trade of the UK market.
Founded in 1886, The Benevolent Charity's mission is to help colleagues from the drinks industry facing medical or financial hardship or any other workplace or home difficulties. These might include serious illness, disability, debt issues or a family crisis such as a seriously ill partner or child.
If you live and work in the UK and your current or previous employer's business deals primarily with alcoholic drinks in any way, then The Benevolent is there to help you - whether you are a bartender, retailer, importer or a driver delivering kegs of beer. The charity can provide you with a wide range of services including financial and emotional support as well as practical advice. The Benevolent's services are completely confidential.
- Ongoing or emergency payments to help you through financial hardship or if you are out of work for a long period of time.
- Debt advice and counselling or help with housing issues.
- Funding towards private treatments in times of crisis.
- Funding towards legal advice or specialist agencies.
- Support with stress, depression and other issues at home or in the workplace, or advice with employment rights.
- Assistance with accessing support from specialist agencies if you are dealing with alcohol or drugs misuse.
The Benevolent offers even more than indicated above. If you are going through a tough period then contact The Benevolent for help.
To access support or find out more about your trade charity