English Whisky Co. Ltd
Not generally accessible
+44 1953 717939
The English Whisky Co. is housed within the St. George's distillery in Norfolk, and claims to be the first registered whisky distilling company in England in more than 100 years. The distillery was founded by local farmer James Nelstrop and his son Andrew to take advantage of the quality of the local barley and the Breckland aquifer that runs nearby. The copper stills, which became operational in November 2006, were designed and made by Forsyths of Rothes - customs and excise prevented the stills being smaller than 1,800 litre.
The English Whisky Company's range of whiskies are presented as 'chapters' of different ages and finishes and in peated and unpeated variants. Initial batches were distilled under the supervision of Iain Henderson – former master distiller at the Laphroaig Distillery – during a four-month-long interlude ahead of his retirement, during which he trained a former Green King brewer, David Fitt, to take over.