Closed & demolished
1.3 million litres
Not generally accessible
Inverleven single malt whisky distillery was built in 1938 using red brick construction within the grounds of Dumbarton grain distillery complex, also completed the same year. It was built by Hiram Walker to make fillings for their recently acquired Ballantine’s blends.
Initially equipped with a pair of conventional wash and spirit stills, a third Lomond still was installed at Inverleven in 1959. The stills were originally direct fired but were converted to steam in the early 60s. The Lomond still was so named as it was used to make a single malt named after Loch Lomond from where the distillery’s water was sourced.
Inverleven was mothballed in 1991 and subsequently demolished in 2006 along with the Dumbarton grain distillery to make way for a housing development. Fortunately Inverleven’s three stills were rescued and shipped to Islay by the owners of Bruichladdich. The two conventional stills are intended for use at the resurrected Port Charlotte Distillery while the Lomond still, now named Ugly Betty has been installed at Bruichladdich where it is used to produce The Botanist Gin.