Glenmorangie’s name means ‘valley of great tranquility’. William Matheson established the distillery in an old brewery in 1843, then sold his venture in 1918 to Roderick Macdonald and Alexander Muir.
Glenmorangie’s original stills were second hand gin stills from London, and at 5.13 metres, they are still the tallest of any malt whisky distillery. Very tall necks do not allow the heavier or oiler elements into the distillate, so these stills give a highly rectified spirit, which is light, sweet and fruity. Glenmorangie uses extremely hard water from Tarlogie Springs, which has risen through layers of limestone and sandstone. All casks used were previously used for ageing bourbon, and are only reused once.