9 South Anne Street,
+353 (0)1 677 8312
View bar's website
Mon-Thu 10:30am-11:30pm, Fri-Sat 10:30am-12:30am, Sun 12:30-11pm
Unchanged for generations, Kehoe's as its better known is one of Dublin's heritage pubs. Its charm and location on a key pedestrian route just off Grafton Street ensures it is always packed with locals and tourists alike.
First licensed in 1803, this corner pub was refitted towards the end of the 19th Century and still retains the wooden dividing panels, grand mahogany counter and bar fittings installed then. Even the subdued Victorian fawn and brown colour scheme survives. The mahogany drawers behind the low grocery counter once held rice, tea, coffee and snuff from a time when patrons could slip in for provisions and enjoy a pint in the snug. From here they could use the buzzer to summon another pint to be delivered through the serving hatch.
When owner John Kehoe died the bar was sold for 2.3 million punts and the new proprietors opened the floor above where Kehoe lived, adding a bar and a little parlour.
Stout dominates this bar but Kehoe's also has a good range of spirits and no matter how busy, retains a relaxed easy ambience.