Keeping spirits up
We aim to continue offering well-informed, impartial information for folk looking to raise their spirits, their spirits knowledge, or just find a cocktail recipe. We'll leave news and health advice to others better placed and more informed to comment but we are keen to help folk in the bar industry and our readers at home. So...
What we're not doing
- Panic shopping! We've a well-stocked bar!
What we are doing
- With the support of Havana Club we are inviting and paying bar entrepreneurs around the world to be our contributors so giving money directly to help them and their staff. Havana Club are matching these contributor payments with charitable contributions to The Drinks Trust.
We've built a new area on Difford's Guide called Bar Entrepreneur Frontline to house these enlightening pieces with the first being by Hope & Sesame in China with advice after eight weeks under lockdown. Andrew and Bastien from Hope & Sesame asked that their fee go to charity so Havana Club will pay the Drinks Trust £1,000 for this piece. Many thanks to all concerned.
- There's a lot of very creative and talented bartenders stuck at home and missing being in the public eye behind the stick. Many of you are already filming yourselves making cocktails, creating garnishes that are works of art, and showing off other talents that have nothing at all to do with bartending. Some are writing about cocktails and spirits, others are writing stories and poetry.
In common with Bar Entrepreneur Frontline above, we are building a dedicated area, Bartenders @ Home, to house these films, photographs and pieces. We are also inviting drinks companies to support this by awarding prizes to the best of these and which receive the most page views. Bartenders, please send me your creations to promote to the Difford's Guide audience. firstname.lastname@example.org
- We're keen to create a space for our community of Discerning Drinkers, many of which are stuck at home, to come together as a community. So, we've enabled you to post comments directly to our cocktail recipe pages. If you scroll down, under each recipe you'll see a comment box where we invite you to post alternative/better cocktail specs, add your thoughts and observations on origins and ideas for recipe riffs. We will also enable comments on other areas of the site in the days and weeks ahead.
- Our clever developers are also working on new functionality to support bars selling vouchers for future rounds of drinks. This is a great way for discerning drinkers to plan nights out post pandemic and generate much needed immediate revenue for bars. Watch this space for updates as our plans come to fruition.
- We've compiled some useful information on the situation in various countries. Most of what we have so far is thanks to the efforts of Jane Ryan, Difford's Guide Australia Editor. If you'd also like to contribute, please email info@DiffordsGuide.com. View pages by country below or just opt for an anti-virus cocktail.