Originally built in the 13th Century as a moated castle, the property was extended and converted into a beautiful Château in 1528. The Marnier-Lapostolle family bought it in 1921. The drawing room, which dates from the 18th century, has an enormous fireplace, intricately carved to tell a romantic tale. When the fireplace was bought, the marble structure was so enormous that the room had to be built around it.
Château de Bourg is a suitably grandiose property for such a “grand” liqueur and the main purpose of the property was the ageing of cognac in its eight cellars which jointly hold some 30,000 casks, but since June 2012, the château has also been home to the distillery (which moved from Gaillon, Eure due to logistical issues). As anyone who has stayed there will also testify, the château is still used as a palatial guest house too.
As is the usual practice in the region, the aging cellars at Château de Bourg are actually warehouse structures built above ground but the ancient cellars set into the hillside beneath the property do house the company's 'Paradise' where demijohns hold very old cognacs, some dating back to the early 1900s.