Correctly pronounced “Perri-Ay-Jew-et” (the “t” should be pronounced but softly), the Perrier-Jouët Champagne house was founded in 1811 by Pierre-Nicolas and Rose Adélaide Jouët. The rather easier to pronounce ‘P-J’ nickname became popular with the fame the champagne house enjoyed under the leadership of his son, Charles.
In 1950, the Mumm Champagne house acquired a majority holding in Perrier-Jouët and the house became part of the Seagram Group. It then passed into the ownership of Allied Domecq before being purchased by Pernod-Ricard as part of the Allied Domecq.
The house style veers towards fruity, medium-bodied champagnes.