Every bartender, worth their celery salt, has a signature Bloody Mary recipe they’re proud of. Realising this, Ketel One collected recipes from 30 leading bartenders in their home market to produce the appropriately titled Large Bloody Mary Book. Naturally, the book is in Dutch, so we asked Ketel One to translate five of the best cocktails from the book to share with you below.
Created by Ben Lobos, Dr. Rotterdam, World Class Winner 2018
Garnish: Coriander leaves
1. Create the beetroot shrub by juicing the beetroot in a slow juicer.
2. Match the beetroot juice with a similar amount of red wine vinegar.
3. Make the spinach juice by slow juicing spinach, jalapeño and cilantro.
4. Create the Spice Solution by mixing soy sauce with the crushed black pepper.
5. Add the vodka, beet shrub, spinach juice, and Spice Solution to a shaker with some ice.
6. Throw the cocktail until the shaker starts to cool down.
7. Fill a rocks glass to the brim with ice cubes.
8. Garnish the Bloody Mary with cilantro leaves.
50ml Ketel One Vodka
60ml cilantro – jalapeño – spinach juice*
40ml Beetroot shrub*
10ml Citric acid solution
5ml Spice solution
1,5 jalapeño, deseeded
200g fresh beetroot
Red wine vinegar
20ml soy sauce
4g crushed black pepper
Created by Alberto Matallana, World Class Winner 2017, Dr. Rotterdam
Glass: Long drink glass
Garnish: Slice of celery
1. Put the vodka, tomato juice, lemon juice, sherry, salt and pepper, Tabasco and celery bitters in a sealable plastic container. Make sure to stir well.
2. Add 1 liter of milk to the container.
3. Cover the liquid with cling film and leave in the refrigerator for 2 days, without touching it.
4. After two days, check the consistency and transparency. Once the liquid is clarified, filter it twice through a cheese cloth or a double coffee filter.
5. Transfer the liquid to a bottle and leave in the refrigerator for one day.
6. The next day, check the consistency and transparency again and filter a second time if needed. Taste the drink and if needed, add more vodka to taste.
7. Take the longdrink glass and fill it to the brim with ice cubes.
8. Pour the clarified mixture into the glass and stir it twice with a spoon.
9. Garnish the Bloody Mary with a slice of celery.
700ml Ketel One Vodka
1500ml tomato juice
200ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
75ml Olorosso Sherry
100ml Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
A sprinkle of celery salt
3 dashes Tabasco
30ml celery bitters
1l whole milk
Tip: This is a clarified Bloody Mary. Therefore, start step 1 to 5 two days in advance.
Created by Tess Posthumus, World Class Winner 2015, owner of The Flying Dutchmen
Glass: Long drink glass
Garnish: Crispy bacon and freshly cracked black pepper
1. Make the juice with the grilled red pepper, yellow pepper and orange juice. Gril to cut red and yellow peppers in a grill pan or in the oven. Use the double number of yellow peppers for each red pepper. Remove the pieces of grilled peppers (when they have cooled down) by a slow juicer. Fill half of the juice with freshly squeezed orange juice.
2. Add the vodka, tomato juice, juices of grilled peppers, lemon juice, Tabasco and orange bitters to your shaker.
3. Grab a long drink glass and fill it all the way to the brim with ice cubes.
4. Throw the cocktail until the shaker is very cold.
5. Strain the cocktail out in the ice cube filled with highball glass.
6. Garnish the Bloody Queen with a piece of crispy bacon and some freshly ground black pepper
Tip: Tess has a few incredible Bloody Mary recipes in her book ‘Cocktails met Tess’.
45ml Ketel One Vodka
60ml tomato juice
60ml grilled red bell pepper – grilled yellow bell pepper and orange juice (2:4:3)
10ml lemon juice
2 dash of Tabasco
1 dash orange bitters
Beet the One
Created by Kevin Kroon, ZA Amsterdam, World Class Winner 2016
Glass: Sling glass
Garnish: Celery and piece of beetroot
1. First make the spicy apple-celery juice by slow juicing the celery and ginger.
2. Add the apple-pear juice, horse radish, jalapeño, salt, green pepper powder and freshly chopped spring onion to the juice.
3. Add the mixed juice, vodka, beetroot juice and lime juice to the glass.
4. Fill the sling glass to the brim with ice cubes.
5. Stir well with a spoon.
6. Garnish the cocktail with a piece of celery and a piece of beetroot.
60ml Ketel One Vodka
80ml Beetroot juice
20ml Spicy apple-celery juice*
10ml Lime juice
Spicy apple celery juice
600ml Fresh celery juice
50ml Fresh ginger juice
300ml Apple-pear juice
30ml Horse radish
2 pieces Jalapeño
20 grams of salt
10 grams of green pepper powder
40 grams of spring onion
Beefed Up Bull
Created by Andrew Nicholls, The Beefsteak Club, World Class Winner 2009
190ml Ketel One vodka
190ml Beetroot juice
190ml Beef stock
60ml Worcestershire sauce
7ml Celery bitters
14ml Ginger tincture*
Salt and pepper to taste
70ml Ketel One Vodka
30ml fresh ginger juice
Garnish: Beef jerky salt or regular salt
1. First create the ginger tincture by adding ginger to a slow juicer.
2. Add the ginger juice to the vodka and keep chilled in a small bottle.
3. Add the vodka, beetroot juice, beef stock, ponzu, Worcestershire sauce, bitters, ginger tincture, salt and pepper to a shaker with some ice cubes.
4. Throw the cocktail until the shaker feels cold.
5. Rim the glass with salt.
6. Fill a rocks glass to the brim with ice cubes and strain the Bloody Mary into the glass.
Visit our Bloody Mary page for more information on the cocktail and recipes.