This Speyside single malt scotch whisky distillery was established in 1897 and lies in a secluded glen close to the busy A96 on the west bank of the River Lossie on the edge of the town of Elgin.
Elgin is situated in the Laich of Moray, known as the 'granary of Scotland'. The distillery was converted from the original West Brewery in 1897 and closed in 1910 for two years with Glen Moray single malt not going back into production until 1923, when it was acquired by the owners of Glenmorangie. Glen Moray was mothballed again during World War II. In 1958 a Saladin Box was installed to replace traditional floor malting, though malting was discontinued in 1978 and the number of stills increased from two to four.
Glen Moray was re-launched in 1999 and is aged in bourbon barrels with no sherry oak but some wine cask finishing.