Created in 1912 by Edouard Martell and first launched at the renowned Hôtel de Paris in Monaco. Cordon Bleu was the first post-phylloxera cognac to be released by Martell and is something of a flagship for the brand, characterising the 'typical' house style of Martell Cognac.
Cordon Bleu is of X.O. quality and credited as being the oldest XO that still exists and the first mass-market upmarket cognac. The blend contains a high proportion of Borderies (some 50%) setting it apart from other X.O. quality cognacs which tend to be more Grand Champagne led. Cordon Bleu is blended from over 100 different eau-de-vie of between ten and 25 years old.
The understated and minimalist bottle and label remains faithful to the original 1912 design with an eye-catchingly regal blue ribbon. The name (meaning blue ribbon) and bottle's design were Edouard's way of acknowledging Jean Martell's seafaring roots and reference the Blue Riband, an accolade awarded at the beginning of the 20th century to the ship with the fastest transatlantic crossing. The crossing was timed between the Bishop Rock lighthouse, west of Britain's Cornish peninsula, and New York harbour's Ambrose Light. The term, borrowed from horse racing, conferred much prestige on the victorious Atlantic liner so is a fitting symbol of excellence.