Pulteney Distillery Company
Established: Not supplied
Owner: International Beverage Holdings
Capacity: Not supplied
Visitor Policy: Not generally accessible
Tel: Not supplied
Pulteney Distillery is the most northerly distillery on the UK Mainland and was founded in 1826 by James Henderson at the height of Wick’s herring boom. The distillery lies in the heart of ‘Pulteneytown’, which was created for all the fishermen at the time, then one of the biggest herring fishing ports in Europe.
James Henderson's family retained ownership until 1920 when the distillery was purchased by James Watson & Company of Dundee, then just three years later it was again sold to Dewars and so in turn became part of Distillers Company Ltd who mothballed Pulteney in 1930. It changed hands a couple more times before becoming part of Hiram Walker and Sons who rebuilt the distillery in 1958. It came back under British control through Allied Domecq in 1961 and was subsequently sold to the present owners Inver House in 1995.