William Grant built The Balvenie Distillery into the abandoned shell of an 18th century manor house next to his already successful Glenfiddich distillery in 1892. The original stills Grant bought to set up his second distillery were second-hand and came from Lagavulin and Glen Albyn.
The present day 4 wash and 5 spirit stills are of the same dimensions, being taller than those at Glenfiddich. This means the whisky produced at Balvenie is very different in style to that of its immediate neighbour.
Balvenie is one of the few distilleries still using floor malting and peating in an on-site kiln using barley grown on the distillery’s own farm, Balvenie Mains.