Words by: Simon Difford
The following (published 3rd July 2015) is based on a combination of statistics of visits to individual cocktail pages on this website, frequency of appearance on cocktail menus we’ve scrutinised in bars in Europe and North America combined with feedback from bartenders.
While the Porn Star Martini has been consistently our most visited cocktail for almost a year now, others such as the Pimm's Cup in the above list are incredibly seasonal so we have relegated to 52nd place in our 'weighted' top 50 below. We have also allowed for both Google search and brand promotion bias when deciding on the places below.
Obvious trends over the past six months see the Mojito rapidly falling out of fashion with a non-alcoholic 'Apple Virgin Mojito now leading the page views for the previously in vogue minty Cuban cocktail. Other flavoured Mojitos which were popular before Christmas have declined with the Classic Mojito now back leading page views for alcoholic Mojitos. The general rapid rise of non-alcoholic cocktail page views is perhaps also a sign of a wider trend in society.
It is the many derivations of the Mule that appear to have benefitted from the Mojito's decline so owners of ginger beer brands can look forward to buoyant sales over the summer months ahead.
In drawing up the following top 50 we have taken account of drinks like the Dry Martini and Daiquiri which have numerous different recipes on this website meaning that no one page/recipe scores particularly highly. However, it is interesting that as Martini recipes go the Vesper is by far the most viewed recipe (our 66th most viewed cocktail) while the Hemingway is far out in the lead for the Daiquiris (our 16th most visited drink).
1. Bloody Mary - served in the world's best bars but also in pubs, dive bars and even on aeroplanes. How spicy do you like yours?
2. Margarita and Tommy's Margarita - Tommy's receives more hits than the classic Margaritas (straight-up, on-the-rocks and frozen) on Difford's Guide.
3. Moscow Mule - enjoyed a huge resurgence through 2014 and continuing to clime after slipping back pre-Christmas.
4. Daiquiri - we've noticed a huge rise in the Hemingway Special and this is presently the most popular Daiquiri on Difford's Guide.
5. Espresso Martini - not actually a 'Martini' at all but this stimulating cocktail is fabulous all the same.
6. Porn Star Martini -the most visited cocktail on Difford's Guide. Proof that either sex sells or folk like passion fruit.
7. Amaretto Sour - the 2nd most visited cocktail on Difford's Guide in the last quarter of 2014 but has fallen since Christmas. We recommend Morgenthaler Formula
8. Spritz - we've grouped Aperol Spritz and Spritz al Bitter together but while Aperol previously led, the drier Campari 'Spritz Al Bitter' now receives almost twice the traffic.
9. Old-Fashioned - we've also taken the Maple Old-Fashioned and Benton's Old-Fashioned serves into account to bring the Old-Fashioned into the top ten.
10. Manhattan - We've combined Dry, Perfect and Sweet serves but the Sweet Manhattan is by far the most popular on Difford's Guide.
11. Bramble - popular across Europe and perhaps helped by present gin resurgence.
12. White Lady - the most viewed vintage classic on Difford's Guide continues to rise up this chart.
13. French Martini - not actually a Martini and driven by sales of Chambord liqueur perhaps but this fruity drink has wide appeal.
14. Mai Tai - commonplace on bar menus around the world. (Trader Vic's recipe is by far the most popular on Difford's Guide.)
15. Negroni - It looks like it is more than just bartenders now enjoying the bitter-sweet delights of the Negroni.
16. Dry Martini - the various styles of Martini such as Vodkatini and Vesper combine to push near the top of our chart.
17. White Russian - popular since its 1998 cameo appearance in The Big Lebowski this drink is enjoying a resurgence on America's West Coast.
18. Dirty Banana - helped by to a One Direction blog referring to Harry Styles, this was the most visited cocktail on Difford's Guide during 2014.
19. Sazerac - we have Ann Tuennerman and Tales of the Cocktail to thank for the Sazerac's rise in popularity. Thanks Ann.
20. Mojito - the Mojito seems to rapidly be falling out of favour but the classic Mojito has risen to No.56 on Difford's Guide after languishing at 92. That said it's still a much requested bar drink.
21. Breakfast Martini - We've waited this drink highly due to the number of similar gin and jam drinks presently flying of menus.
22. Aviation - this gin classic is presently the 24th most viewed cocktail on Difford's Guide, down from No. 15.
23. The Last Word
25. Martinez - of the many recipes Martinez #1 with Genever is the most popular on Difford's Guide
26. Blood & Sand - the 34th most visited cocktail on Difford's Guide, down from 23rd but proof the Scotch whisky cocktails are back
28. Brandy Crusta - Up from 73rd place.
29. Fog Cutter #1 - we recommend Fog Cutter #2 - Up from No.59.
30. Collins - flavoured variations led by the Elderflower Collins are propelling the popularity of this tall refreshing cocktail
31. Irish Coffee - perhaps due to the popularity of Irish whiskey with noticed a jump in this warming drink's popularity. Irish coffee glasses are now in supermarkets.
32. Caipirinha - the World Cup being held in Brazil helped the Caipirinia's popularity last year. What will the 2016 Olympics do?
33. Old Cuban
34. Alaska - we have two recipes for Alaska on Difford's Guide but the Savoy Recipe is most popular
35. Absolutely Fabulous
36. French 75 - we've also noticed a rise in the elderflower based French 77.
37. Cosmopolitan - Still lingering in the top 50
38. Passion Fruit Martini - yes we know it's not really a Martini
39. Singapore Sling - we've included stats for the Gin Sling in our placing of the Singapore Sling at 38, up from No. 53.
40. Mint Julep - a great drink served in a fancy tin. Given the rise of American whiskies this will surely continue to grow in popularity.
41. Lynchburg Lemonade - Up from No. 72
42. Pimm's Cup
43. Hanky Panky
44. Whisky Mac
45. Alabama Slammer - #1 most visited
48. Jamaican Mule
49. Gin Basil Smash
51. Rum Sour
52. Vieux Carré
53. Negroni Sbagliato
54. Flaming Ferrari
55. Pickle Back - one of the most popular shots of 2013 is now out the top 50.
56. Vodka Collins
57. Dark 'n' Stormy
58. Russian Spring Punch
59. Piña Colada
61. Corpse Reviver - of the various recipes it is the No.2 (Savoy Recipe) that is by far most popular on Difford's Guide
62. Sidecar - the leading cognac-based cocktail
63. Brandy Alexander - the vodka-based Alexander the Great is also heavily hit by people searching for 'Alexander' on Difford's Guide
64. Abbey Martini
65. P.S. I Love You
66. Raspberry Mule
67. Mary Pickford
69. Tom Collins
71. Slow Comfortable Screw Against The Wall - Who'd have thought this would come in at No.69!
72. Mexican Mule
73. Gin Fizz and Ramos Gin Fizz - shaker boys at the ready, the Ramos is the 29th most visited cocktail on Difford's Guide
74. Blazer (Blue Blazer)
75. Jammie Dodger
76. Bellini - given the present popularity of Prosecco we'd have expected better of the Bellini
77. Fluffy Duck - proof that silly names still sell cocktails
78. Agent Orange
79. Ace - we'd have guessed this pink gin drink was so popular?
80. Screaming Orgasm
81. Adam & Eve
82. English Garden
83. Pisco Sour
84. Funky Monkey
85. Missionary's Downfall
86. Champagne Cocktail
88. Pisco Punch
90. Long Island Iced Tea
91. June Bug
92. The Bird is the Word
93. Jack Rose
94. Batida de Coco
95. Army & Navy
97. Gin Garden
98. Trinidad Sour
99. Anejo Highball
100. Bee Sting